“It’s a Great Idea” Poster Session
Thursday, August 9, 2007
12:30 to 1:15 p.m.
Humphrey Theatre Foyer
Thank you for your interest in participating in the “It’s a Great Idea” Poster Session at the ABE Summer Institute. At this Poster Session, Adult Basic Education (ABE) professionals from around the state will have the opportunity to share their best ABE ideas with colleagues. An ABE/ELL teacher might want to highlight a successful lesson, an outreach coordinator a super recruitment idea, or an administrator a timesaving budget idea. In addition to providing a great opportunity to share an idea, your poster will earn you 3 CEUs!
Please contact Claudia Kinville at firstname.lastname@example.org or John Schmidt at email@example.com to verify your participation in the Poster Session by Tuesday, July 31. Please include a brief paragraph describing your poster (topic, focus, etc.). If you have colleagues who are attending the conference, please encourage them to participate as well.
Here are the guidelines for the poster session:
1) Use one idea per poster. It can be a successful marketing strategy, teaching lesson, or celebration event. For example, an ESL teacher might have a fun lesson for teaching clothing vocabulary OR maybe your program has created a promotional flyer that has been very effective in reaching students.
2) The idea should be on poster board. Any size up to 22” x 28” (standard poster board size) is okay as long as what you have on the poster is easy to read from a distance. You can buy poster board at Target or any Office Max type store. (Literacy MN will provide the mounting.)
3) On your poster display, include a heading briefly explaining what your poster is about.
4) Visuals will enhance the effectiveness of your poster. Think in terms of graphic impact. Simplicity and legibility are more important than artistic embellishments. For example, some color combinations, although very attractive, are difficult to read. Charts, drawings, photographs and other illustrations are encouraged.
5) Lettering should be simple, bold and easily legible.
6) Set up will be Wednesday, August 8th, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Humphrey Theatre Foyer.
7) Please have a handout of your great idea that you can distribute to poster session attendees. Please have enough handouts for 200.
8) We ask that you remain by your poster from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. on Thursday, August 9th so attendees can talk to you about your idea.
v Posters will remain on display throughout the Summer Institute.
v Photos of all posters and scanned handouts will be available on the Literacy Minnesota website in September.
v 3 CEUs will be awarded and all entries will have a chance to win the drawing at the Poster Session on Thursday, August 9th.