Greetings, Literacy Minnesota Members!
1) Literacy Minnesota member Carol Kidder received the Fox 9 News Top Teacher Award. To see the video clip, go tohttp://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/ and enter the name "Carol Kidder" in the Search box. Carol began working with adults as a literacy volunteer at
Metro North ABE. She became a basic reading trainer through the Minnesota Literacy Council and received a 1998 Gold award from the Council for
outstanding and innovative volunteer service. She presently teaches leveled English classes at the Adult Education Center-Columbia Heights/Fridley. In
2007 one thousand individuals were served by seventeen staff members and thirty volunteers at this school. She is the staff person designated to
oversee Level 4 English classes and is the site facilitator. Congratulations, Carol!
2) Nominate someone you admire for a Literacy Minnesota award today! Each year Literacy Minnesota honors teachers, managers, advocates, and programs
working and succeeding in Adult Basic Education. We are fortunate to have many talented individuals and organizations in our field. This year five
outstanding awardees--one for each category--will be honored at the Awards Banquet at Summer Institute. Information and forms are available on the
Literacy Minnesota website:http://www.literacyminnesota.org/10th_Annual_ABE_Awards.html Submission deadline is June 15th. (Please print the forms for those who may not have easy internet access.)
3) The Professional Issues Committee is compiling the results of the
focus groups held throughout the state during the 2007/2008 school year. The
sharing of Promising Practices
4) ABE Summer Institute is less than 4 months away: August 6, 7, & 8 at St. John's University in Collegeville. 2008 Literacy Minnesota members will
receive a registration brochure in May. Registration materials will also be posted on the website. Watch for details as they become available:http://www.literacyminnesota.org/Summer_Institute.html
poster to display your idea and create handouts to distribute to others so your idea can be replicated in programs throughout Minnesota. Posters will
be on display in the Great Hall throughout the first 2 days of the conference. If you are interested in participating, please contact Kara Schommer - firstname.lastname@example.org or
Claudia Kinville - email@example.com 2007 Summer Institute posters are on the Literacy Minnesota website: http://www.literacyminnesota.org/Summer_Institute.html
6) The Legislative Committee reports that the Literacy Minnesota platform planks continue to work there way through the legislative process. With the
success of the 2008 Legislative Forum, consider building on the momentum at the local level by hosting a forum in your community. Pat Thomas would be
willing to mentor ABE programs interested in organizing local legislative forums and structured visits for legislators. Contact Pat Thomas for details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your continued interest!
Back To Staff Information