Minnesota Adult Basic Education is pleased to announce the availability of student ESL certificates based on the CASAS Level C criteria. Below is a short description of the Essential Skills Certification (ESC) Program and purpose statement. For complete information on the program, the certificates and the policy, please open the PDF file attached.
The “Certificate.Word” document is an example of one of the certificates that I formatted to one page. Original certificates will be printed front to back. The “Suggested Paper.ESC” document is a summary of the certificate paper that St Paul ABE is using and why they selected it.
Hubbs Center staff are developing supporting ESC curriculum that will be available in the spring of 2008. We will let you know as soon as the curriculum becomes available.
Skills Certification Program
Minnesota Adult Basic Education's vision is certificates of achievement will be awarded to ESL students for attainment of predetermined levels of performance in selected subject areas. The Essential Skills Certificate (ESC) provides the most visible means of documenting student performance and learning outcomes.
· provide an incentive for student learning motivation;
· benchmark student performance and learning gains based on competency attainment;
· establish a common language among literacy partners (i.e. Workforce Development Centers, employers, vocational rehabilitation, MFIP providers, etc.);
· document basic skills attainment for employers and others;
· furnish a significant data element for an outcomes based reporting system;
· develop an understandable method of communication to policy makers regarding student learning progress (i.e. legislators, administrators, etc.); and
· provide a standardized method of measuring program effectiveness.
Thanks for taking the time to read through this material. Please contact Anne Marie if you have any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-582-8479.
Anne Marie Leland