Distance Learning and Telemedicine Program Grant.
The grant totaling $482,791, will support increased educational opportunities for residents of southwestern and west central Minnesota via a mix of technologies, including online course management software and related hardware, individual and group videoconferencing systems, mobile computer training labs, teacher training, and more
Here are more particulars on the benefits for regional ABE Centers:
1. A total of 15 “electronic teaching toolkits” for ABE instructors’ use. These toolkits are envisioned as laptop computers, software and individual video conferencing units. (Note: These stations are for ABE teachers who want to develop on-line educational courses and student materials.)
2. A total of 5 desktop computer workstations, software and individual video conferencing units to be located at ABE centers for adult students’ use. (For students to access courses and materials post on the internet.)
3. Training on and use of course management software in support of online instruction. Funds are budgeted for course management software licenses and necessary server hardware to support the software. (Teachers who want to develop course material can be trained on the software.)
4. A total of 5 small group video conferencing systems to be located at ABE centers if technically feasible. (For teachers to video conference with students or other teachers.)
5. Use of portable training labs. Three (3) such labs are budgeted for in the proposal. These labs will include one (1) presenter workstations, a video projector, four (4) student workstations, software, and wireless networking equipment. (These portable labs will be available to all ABEs that are a part of this grant).
6. Access to streaming media/video editing workstations that allow development of streaming media and the ability to store streaming media on servers that can store and distribute streaming media content. (Teachers can create their streaming media (video), edit it, and put in on the web for students to view.)
7. Access to web conferencing software.
Lyon County Government Center • 607 W. Main St. • Marshall, MN 56258 • (507) 537-7046