ABE COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
201-210 TABE Range: 2.1-4.0
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Complete a personal information form without
- Respond appropriately in group situations.
- Ask, for, give, and clarify instructions.
- Consumer Economics
- Count coins and currency and make change.
- Fill out and cash a check.
- Read and interpret advertisements and coupons.
- Interpret charts when purchasing.
- Make comparisons of prices when shopping.
- Community Resources
- Locate a name and address in a telephone book.
- Locate community and public services.
- Locate information on a utility bill.
- Order from a restaurant and calculate total.
- Read and interpret location and information signs and
- Read and interpret transportation signs and symbols.
- Use a map.
- Tell time to the minute.
- Fill out a medical history form.
- Read a thermometer to measure body temperature.
- Read a medicine label.
- Read a product warning label.
- Read nutrition information.
- Recognize basic first aid concepts.
- Read want ads and job announcements.
- Complete a job application without assistance.
- Construct a simple resume.
- Follow a form to write a cover letter.
- Identify how to get a job application.
- Read and interpret workplace safety signs and symbols.
- Fill out an accident report.
- Know how to report workplace safety issues.
- Government and Law
- Recognize major elected officials.
- Know basic government facts.
- Recognize illegal activities.
- Read and write the numbers 0-100.
- Count by 2’s, 3’s, 5’s, 10’s, 25’s, and 50’s.
- Know basic math symbols and concepts.
- Know place value from hundred to hundredth.
- Add and subtract without regrouping; understand the
inverse relationship of addition and subtraction.
- Multiply and divide through 10; understand the inverse
relationship of multiplication and division; multiply and divide without
- Follow a problem solving process.
- Round numbers to 10’s and 100’s.
- Know basic measurement concepts.
- Characterize and classify two- and three-dimensional
- Know geometry concepts of symmetry and reflection,
- Learning to Learn
- Recognize and spell words with a variety of phonetic
- Spell word endings with doubling, silent-e, and y.
- Know word parts.
- Define unknown words through context, phonics, and
- Read and comprehend short newspaper and informational
articles and fiction.
- Read and comprehend graphs, charts, and tables.
- Organize and classify words.
- Use organizational and informational aids in texts.
- Grammar and Writing
- Understand the function of paragraph structure.
- Use basic rules of capitalization, commas, and
- Write declarative sentences with compound subjects
- Use singular, plural, and possessive nouns; regular
and irregular verbs in the past, present continuous, and future tenses;
articles; adjectives and adverbs of comparison; object and possessive
- Write a short letter and address an envelope.
- Write a set of simple directions.