ABE LITERACY COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
CASAS Range: 200 and below TABE Range:
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Read and write personal information.
- Respond orally to questions regarding personal
- Sign their name.
- Ask questions for clarification in group
- Read and write letters in upper and lower case.
- Consumer Economics
- Recognize coins, currency, and monetary symbols.
- Read clothing labels for size and care.
- Locate size information using a height and weight
- Recognize and interpret product safety labels.
- Recognize information on food safety.
- Read food labels and tags.
- Community Resources
- Buy stamps and address a letter.
- Interpret clock time.
- Read the months of the year and the days of the week.
- Recognize directional and informational signs.
- Recognize transportation signs.
- Read some items on a restaurant menu.
- Read an appointment card.
- Follow simple medical directions.
- Read a simple medicine label.
- Recognize the differences of the form different
- Recognize the concepts of good nutrition.
- Complete a simple job application.
- Answer basic job interview questions.
- Complete, with assistance, federal employment forms.
- Ask for assistance and clarification.
- Read a work schedule.
- Locate information on a pay stub.
- Understand common workplace safety signs.
- Government and Law
- Recognize basic government facts.
- Recognize basic laws.
- Read, write, and say numbers.
- Count by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s.
- Know the math concepts of pattern, less, and more.
- Add and subtract 1- and 2-digit whole numbers without
- Know basic measurement concepts.
- Learning to Learn
- Read and write the alphabet.
- Recognize how the printed word flows on a page.
- Know basic phonics rules of consonants, vowels,
blends, and digraphs.
- Listen to a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Narrate a picture story in sequence.
- Dictate and read own stories.
- Recognize sight words.
- Differentiate and classify words, shapes, and colors.
- Grammar and Writing
- Recognize and use singular and plural nouns; articles,
adjectives, subject, object, possessive, and demonstrative pronouns;
present, present-continuous, and past tense verbs; and prepositions.
- Follow the simple capitalization and end punctuation
- Write sentences in a simple pattern with subject-verb
- Write personal stories, sentences, and questions.