ESL LITERACY COMPETENCY OUTLINE
180 and below
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Recite, read and write the alphabet.
- Count to 100 singly and by 5’s; read and write
cardinal (through 100) and ordinal (through 10) numbers (as numbers); read
and write ordinal numbers through 20 (as words).
- Recognize and use the names for basic shapes.
- Recognize and use the names for basic colors.
- Speak and respond to simple greetings, introductions,
- Provide basic personal information in response to oral
questions and on simple forms.
- Use a telephone.
- Know the names of the days of the week, the months,
and the seasons; read and write dates.
- Ask and answer simple oral questions about the
- Read and tell time.
- Recognize different currencies; read monetary amounts;
read price tags.
- Follow and give one-step verbal directions.
- Recognize basic food items; read food costs and
expiration dates; know basic food safety concepts.
- Recognize terms for basic clothing and sizes; read
size and price tags; know clothing cleaning concepts.
- Recognize vocabulary for different types of housing;
know the names of different rooms and major furnishings; know basic home
safety, security, and cleanliness concepts and vocabulary.
- Know how to fill out a simple job application; know
some basic vocabulary about entry-level jobs; know basic workplace safety
concepts, signs, and symbols.
- Know how to buy stamps and mail a letter.
- Recognize and use the words for basic family
relationships; ask and answer simple questions about family; know about
compulsory schooling for children; recognize concepts about caring for
- Know and use vocabulary for basic body parts; know how
to express basic medical ailments; know basic medical vocabulary; recognize
safety signs and symbols; identify safe driving practices.
- Know basic signs and symbols for safety and direction;
use a map.
- Know simple government facts.
- Know and use subject pronouns, present tense verbs,
simple prepositions, and singular and plural regular nouns.