ADVANCED ESL COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Demonstrate good comprehension during a variety of
conversations by verbally and nonverbally responding.
- Use responsive listening (paraphrasing, summarizing
for elaboration and clarification).
- Consumer Economics
- Reconcile a bank statement and use appropriate banking
terms when inquiring about banking services.
- Develop and use a monthly budget.
- Community Resources
- Identify community resources for mental and physical
- Communicate with personnel at a child’s school.
- Understand how to access a variety of children’s
- Recognize problems related to nutrition, substance
abuse, and mental health.
- Ask for and give advice related to nutrition and good
- Understand how to obtain a job through want ads, job
announcements, and networking.
- Ask and answer a variety of questions in a job
interview and follow-up call.
- Understand job specifications, policies, and standards
- Read, understand, and compare information on benefit
- Read, understand, and complete federal employment
- Communicate with supervisor and co-workers orally and
- Demonstrate an understanding of and discuss workers’
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety procedures.
- Government and Law
- Demonstrate an understanding of the American system of
- Understand the US election process.
- Learning to Learn
- Identify bias, prejudice, or propaganda in oral
messages and print materials.
- Use a dictionary, a thesaurus, and internet search
- Comprehend, interpret, and summarize fiction,
newspaper articles, information articles, and policy manuals.
- Obtain information from diagrams, tables, graphs, and
- Grammar and Writing
- Write a mutli-paragraph composition.