ESL COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Identify orally, read, and write self and personal
- Consumer Economics
- Recognize US currency, symbols relating to money,
and read prices.
- Identify basic foods, food groups, and healthy
- Use vocabulary for home furnishings and reporting
- Recognize concepts and vocabulary for cleaning and
- Name common items of clothing.
- Follow directions of location.
- Follow directions of maintenance and care.
- Community Resources
- Use a residential telephone; call to request
appointments; call 911.
- Tell time using analog and digital clocks.
- Identify signs using sight words and symbols.
- Use vocabulary to ask for and give simple
- Know basic American holidays.
- Read a restaurant menu.
- Know basic principles of safe driving.
- Use a simple street or road map.
- Recognize and identify basic body parts.
- Recognize basic vocabulary relating to illness and
- Recognize basic health care vocabulary.
- Read an appointment card.
- Interpret for simple first aid.
- Interpret medication and prescription labels.
- Interpret basic nutritional information on food
- Identify entry level jobs and associated
- Request a job application.
- Complete a simplified job application with
- Respond to basic job interview questions.
- Produce identification forms required for
- Ask for assistance and clarification on the job.
- Understand basic work safety phrases.
- Read a simple work schedule.
- Recognize pay stubs and deductions.
- Recognize, read, and write cardinal (through 100)
and ordinal (through 10) numbers in numbers and words.
- Recognize basic cooking measurements.
- Learning to Learn
- Read and comprehend silently and aloud and answer
- Determine main idea in a simple paragraph.
- Demonstrate sequential ordering of events from a
- Read a simple table, graph, or chart.
- Follow a simple recipe.
- Writing and Grammar
- Write dictation based on life skill topics.
- Demonstrate use of capitalization.
- Write a basic friendly letter and address an
envelope including the return address.
- Use subject pronouns.
- Use demonstrative pronouns.
- Use common verbs.
- Use adverbs.
- Use adjectives.
- Use prepositions of location.
- Use common and proper nouns.