INTERMEDIATE ABE COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
221-235 TABE Range: 6.0-7.9
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Provide appropriate verbal and nonverbal feedback in
- Use responsive listening.
- Consumer Economics
- Interpret and compare information on savings plans.
- Create a personal and family budget.
- Fill out an order form.
- Evaluate products through comparison shopping.
- Interpret return policies.
- Complete a credit card application and interpret
information on a credit card statement.
- Interpret information on a utility bill.
- Interpret information on home safety and security and
develop an emergency plan.
- Read and interpret information on consumer protection.
- Community Resources
- Communicate with a child’s school and know information
about children’s educational programs.
- Locate information on free or low cost legal
information and services.
- Locate information on community assistance agencies,
- Plan a vacation.
- Use advanced medical vocabulary to describe medical
conditions, medical personnel, and body systems.
- Interpret written medical instructions and
- Interpret information on substance abuse problems.
- Develop a meal plan following food pyramid
- Read and interpret job-related information.
- Interpret and compute information on time cards and
- Identify employment training opportunities.
- Government and Law
- Fill out a voter registration card, compare and
contrast candidates for elected office, and mark a ballot,
- Fill out federal and state tax forms.
- Identify issues of concern to a particular community
and processes that can be used to address the issue.
- Read and interpret information on common laws and
- Read and discuss information about governmental
- Identify political leaders.
- Use a scientific calculator
- Perform multiple operations using whole numbers and
- Sequence, add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions.
- Convert fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Calculate percent.
- Solve word problems using ratio and proportion.
- Solve word problems using the interest, distance, and
- Solve geometry problems using area, perimeter, and
- Measure using various measurement tools.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide measurements with
and without regrouping.
- Compute mean, median, and mode,
- Learning to learn
- Identify unknown words through context clues.
- Comprehend a variety of printed materials.
- Comprehend specific elements of fiction.
- Define and identify figurative language.
- Use reading strategies.
- Grammar and writing
- Write a multi-paragraph narrative essay.
- Follow a writing process.
- Identify all parts of speech in a sentence.
- Write compound and complex sentences.
- Practice self-editing skills.