SECONDARY LOW COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
236-245 TABE Range: 8.1-10.0
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Fill out personal information forms for a variety of
- Practice effective group communication.
- Consumer Economics
- Interpret information about mortgages.
- Interpret information in a credit report.
- Research information on a major purchase and compare
- Interpret information on the maintenance and repair of
- Compare savings plans.
- Community Resources
- Interpret information on business licensing and
- Understand aspects of culture.
- Communicate with health care providers and insurers.
- Interpret health information.
- Understand health maintenance practices.
- Develop a career plan.
- Interpret workplace information.
- Understand elements of job performance and evaluation.
- Interpret information on workplace discrimination and
- Understand common workplace technology and systems.
- Interpret machine operating and repair instructions.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing in the
- Understand purpose and types of workplace resources.
- Government and Law
- Locate and interpret information on special interest
- Understand the legislative process.
- Identify historical documents.
- Identify the US states, major countries, regions of
the world, and geographical features.
- Understand information on basic legal rights.
- Understand information on civic responsibilities.
- Interpret information on recycling.
- Calculate discounts and percent of increase and
- Solve one- and two-step algebraic equations with one
- Convert between metric units.
- Solve equations with the mathematical concepts of
square, square roots, parentheses, and order of operations.
- Interpret a scale drawing.
- Know different types and relationships of angles and
triangles including the Pythagorean relationship.
- Solve real world problems using probability.
- Learning to Learn
- Set personal, educational, and workplace goals.
- Create a schedule.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate inductive and deductive reasoning.
- Demonstrate ability to use decision making factors.
- Demonstrate ability to use a problem solving process.
- Interpret information on personal management.
- Analyze fiction.
- Analyze drama.
- Analyze poetry.
- Analyze non-fiction.
- Analyze graphic documents.
- Grammar and writing
- Use Edited American English in all written tasks
- Follow a writing process.
- Write sentences correctly in a variety of structures.
- Write paragraphs and essays of various types.
- Evaluate writing of others for errors and clarity.