ESL COMPETENCY OVERVIEW
CASAS Range: 181-190
By the end of this level, learners will…
- Identify orally, read, and write self and personal
- Use and respond to polite expressions.
- Write upper and lower case letters.
- Consumer Economics
- Recognize US currency, symbols relating to money,
and read prices.
- Identify basic foods.
- Identify basic information on food labels.
- Recognize common transportation signs.
- Use vocabulary for home furnishings and reporting
- Recognize concepts and vocabulary for cleaning and
- Community Resources
- Use a residential telephone; call to request
appoints; call 911.
- Demonstrate the use of a calendar by identifying
days of the week and months of the year using words and abbreviations.
- Tell time using analog and digital clocks.
- Identify signs using sight words and symbols.
- Know basic American holidays.
- Ask and answer simple questions about the weather.
- Recognize and identify basic body parts.
- Recognize basic vocabulary relating to illness and
- Recognize basic health care vocabulary.
- Read an appointment card.
- Identify basic first aid.
- Identify entry level jobs and associated
- Complete a simplified job application with
- Respond to basic job interview questions.
- Produce identification forms required for
- Ask for assistance and clarification on the job.
- Understand basic work safety phrases.
- Identify common, basic workplace tools.
- Recognize, read, and write cardinal (through 100)
- Recognize basic cooking measurements.
- Learning to Learn
- Read simple sentences with familiar words.
- Read product names.
- Writing and Grammar
- Write dictation on familiar personal topics.
- Write addresses on envelopes.
- Use subject pronouns.
- Use common verbs.
- Use adverbs.