TECH TIP: 10 Amazing Internet Explorer Tips and Tricks
Here are some amazing IE (Internet Explorer) Tricks and Tips. They are so cool that I rated them with smiley faces - 1 to 5. 5 smileys means it’s the coolest! (If you don't have the Wingdings font - you might now see the smileys - no tellin' what you'll see.)
1. Here’s an easy way to scroll through a webpage JJJJJ
Press the spacebar and you will scroll down a page. Hold down the Shift key and press the Spacebar and you will scroll up a page. So Cool
2. Here’s an easy way to type in an address in the address bar without having to click in it. JJJJJ
Press Alt-D, then type in the address. Very Nice!
3. Use IE in full screen mode JJJJ
4. Set the IE window size and
5. Change the font size of a webage. JJJJ
Ever go to a webpage and the type size is microscopic. You can make the type size bigger by holding down the CTRL key and turning the mouse wheel. Move the wheel up, the size gets smaller. Move the wheel down, the size gets larger. Cool – on my eyes!
6. Open a link in a new window JJJJ
Hold the Shift key when you click on a link. The link will open up in a new browser window. When you are done looking at that page, just close the window and you are right back to your original page. Pretty Cool!
7. Go back to the previous webpage – or forward to the former one. JJJJJ
Stop hitting that back button! You can go back to the previous webpage by holding down the Shift key and turning the mouse wheel. Turn it down – you go back. Turn it up – you go forward. Slick!
8. Want to set a new homepage - or does your homepage keep getting reset by your teenage son? (Your homepage is the page you go to when you start IE). JJJJ
Go to the page you want as your new home page. Drag the icon in the Address Bar (next to the word Address) to the Home icon (the little house) in the Standard Toolbar. You will get a message asking you if you want to set your home page to that address – answer “Yes.” Great Time Saver!
9. You can easily determine when a web
page was last updated. JJJ
10. A new way to scroll JJ
Don’t have a scroll wheel on your mouse. You can right-click on the scroll bar (extreme right side of the screen) and you get several options to scroll. The Top and Bottom takes you to the top and bottom of the webpage instantly. Try them all. This works even if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse. (Not very useful but very interesting).
Lyon County Government Center • 607 W. Main St. • Marshall, MN 56258 • (507) 537-7046