TECH TIP: Fixing your Normal.dot
the world is Normal.dot (prounounced
Every time you open Microsoft Word, you go to a blank page. That blank page is called Normal.dot. If you ever open Microsoft Word, and you don’t get a blank page, then your Normal.dot file has somehow been changed. Somehow, it got saved with information in it – hmmmm.
OK – so, how do you get rid of that page and get back to a blank page. You simply have to delete your Normal.dot file. The next time you start Microsoft Word, you will have a blank page.
So how do you delete the Normal.dot file. Here are some simple steps to deleting it.
1. Double click on My Computer.
2. Click on the Tools menu in the top menu bar.
3. Click on Folder Options...
4. Click on the View Tab
5. Click on the little button next to "Show hidden files and folders" (in the Advanced Settings box)
6. Click OK.
7. Double click on Local Disk (C:)
8. Double click on the Documents and Settings folder
9. Double click on the folder with your user name
10. Double click on Application Data. (That folder will be dimmed)
11. Double click on the Microsoft folder.
12. Double click on the Templates folder.
13. Right click on the Normal.dot file and delete it
14. Now you need to hide your hidden folders again
15. Click on the Tools menu in the top menu bar.
16. Click on Folder Options...
17. Click on the View tab.
18. Click on the little button next to "Do not show hidden files and folders" (in the Advanced Settings box)
19. Click on OK.
20. Close all the open windows and you are done!
That's it when you start Word again, you will have a new blank document - a new Normal.dot.
Next week, we will learn how to customize your Normal.dot file. For instance, when you open Word, you automatically get such things as a 1.25 left and right margin, a 1.0 top and bottom margin, and your font is set to Times New Roman-12 point. There are many more settings that are automatically used by default in your Normal.dot file
So, wouldn’t it be nice is when you open Microsoft Word, you had one-inch margins (I like one-inch margins)? And your default font is Arial (I don't like Times New Roman)? See Customizing your Normal.Dot - next week.
Lyon County Government Center • 607 W. Main St. • Marshall, MN 56258 • (507) 537-7046